Monday, July 12, 2010

Thoughts in Church

I m what my aunt calls a "cafeteria Catholic".  I take what I like and forget about what I don't.  I'm cool with that.  We found a great parish that goes along with our more modern interpretation of Catholicism and it works for us.
We attend Mass almost, well, religiously.  We go more Sundays than not, with all four kids in tow and I often have to remind my kids that God gives us 7 days a week, they can give back an hour or so.  We get to church on time, but we DO leave right after Communion.  But we do that for everyone else's comfort, not ours as that's about all the being quiet and still Aidan and Harry can handle before having a meltdown.  Seeing as our church usually has ten minutes of announcements at that point, it's worth it for everyone.
I try really hard not to be holier than thou about this stuff, but there are a few things that just bug the bejesus out of me. 
1) Why must people bring food to church?  Catholic Mass is only a little more than an hour.  Really?  Your kid can't go an HOUR, SIXTY PUNY MINUTES, without Goldfish crackers?  I'm not talking about tiny babies here, I'm talking 4 and 5 year olds.  I don't think they will blow away if you leave the Cheerios at home...
2) Hey lady who gets to church every week during the Homily and climbs over everyone else and lets her ten year olds play with PSPs during what's left of the Mass?  It's bad enough that you make a spectacle every week with all the commotion you cause finding seats and huffing and puffing that you can't sit together, but really, the kids can't leave the video games in the car?  If you were on time you'd have seats together.  And it's Mass.  Not the place to be playing Grand Theft Auto.
3) I don't think your kid is cute when the run up on the altar or kick my seat.  It makes MY kids think that's acceptable, and it's not.
4) And finally, dude sitting behind me yesterday?  Don't tell your 9 year old to "pay attention" and then have  full conversation with your teenager about ipod downloads during the readings.  At full conversation volume.  At the very least, pretend to whisper.  Your kid isn't going to pay any more attention that you were.
Boy, I feel better.  Probably going to get smote by lightening, though.

1 comment:

  1. I doubt you'll take a direct hit -- after all, I had the audacity to decide on Atheism at the tender age of 7 and I'm still around...

    ReplyDelete