Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I blinked

Tonight, the 6 pounds 4 ounces that shook my world to it's very core and changed my name permanently to Mom graduated 8th grade. Of course he is now 5'11, weighs roughly 175 pounds and a mens size 12 sneaker. He's also wicked smart, funny, sarcastic, kind and gentle (when he thinks we aren't looking).
He always stays to help Sr Christina at church, not because he needs the service hours, but because she may need his help. He was infuriated at the Rosa Parks bus story, not because of the blatant racism, but because didn't the man know that a GENTLEMAN always stands for a lady? He requested his school stop playing "Superman" by Soulja Boy (I probably spelled that "wrong", sorry Soulja) because he found the lyrics offensive to women. He held his own discussing politics with his dad and I when we voted for Hillary in the primary and he wanted Obama. He can give me a withering dirty look when I embarrass him in front of his friends (all of whom think I am pretty damn awesome, by the way.) He is on his second "girlfriend" though he has no money and can't drive, so his dating abilities are pretty severely limited.
The trouble is, I swear, ten minutes ago, he was brand new. Just an instant ago, I was a terrified new mom, trying to convince my discharging nurse that it was not a good idea to leave me in charge of a whole human being. Oh, I am still a terrified mom, as going into the high school for a meeting caused me to have a bit of a panic attack. But I don't know what happened... I must have blinked.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for J-man!! His is a fine young specimen of gentleman thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... according to the ads on your page, it appears that you have spelled Soulja Boy correctly.

    Many hugs -- and congrats for raising such a good young man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He even found it funny that before the ceremony started, his dad and I were doing a two person wave.

    ReplyDelete