Friday, December 24, 2010

That Which Does Not Get Done

Over the years I have come to accept that my plans exceed my capabilities.  Every year, there is some wonderful holiday thing I want to do, but it just doesn't get done.  Until this year.  This year I refuse to beat myself up about what I just don't manage to find time for. And I refuse to even teasingly call myself lazy.  I have 4 kids and a full time job for Chrissakes.  I don't have time to be lazy.
This year, Christmas cards did not get done.  I know, many of you were pining for my traditional, non-red eye corrected photo card of all of my kids looking almost at the same place at the same time.  Who knows?  Maybe I will take a page from Julia Child and send the card I created but never had printed as a Valentine.  Or Arbor Day greeting. 
I didn't really bake any cookies either.  Sorry.  I was tired.  Did I mention that I have 4 kids and a full time job?
We DID get almost all of shopping done prior to Christmas Eve.  (So it was the 23rd, but it was still BEFORE Christmas eve).  We went to the beautiful Kris Kringle market, ate chocolate covered marshmallows, had a picture with Santa and saw the windows at Marshall Fields (take that Macy's.  Always Fields in my heart!).  We watched Christmas movies together.  We had friends over, and went to friend's homes.  I re-read The Bird's Christmas Carol, like my grandmother did every year.  We admired our lovely tree and wrapped gifts. 
It may not be a Martha Stewart Christmas, but it's mine and it is plenty.  May you all have a holiday season of plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment