Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hug a soldier

This time of year, I always notice the number of service men and women around town, either those lucky enough to be home for the holidays, or those, while not home, at least safe and stateside.  This year, though, I am noticing something a little unsettling.
Most of the young men I see in uniform are starting to look like boys to me.  It dawned on me that, really they are just boys.  Many of them are just three tiny years older than my own sweet baby boy. 
So, now when I see these young people, in addition to thanking them and sending my silent prayers into the universe for them, I send an extra thank you and prayer to their mothers.  I cannot imagine what it must be like to see your sweet baby, who you have protected so well, walk headlong into a danger that you can do nothing about. 
This holiday season, consider sending a Christmas card, or a USO care package to one of our service people.  Whether you agree with our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan or not doesn't matter.  What matters is that our boys and girls know that we are thinking of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment