Monday, August 30, 2010

Reduced Circumstances

Like a lot of people in this current economy, our family is making do with less.  Unlike a lot of people, in our case, much of it is our own damn fault.  I wish I could blame the government or falling stock markets for our poverty, but nope.  It's all our doing.
Seven years ago, we were actually living pretty comfortably.  Two full time jobs, three kids, affordable rental in the city.  Then I got laid off and we mutually decided to let me stay home a little while with our kids.  Jake was being diagnosed with learning disabilities and Abby was starting school.  Aidan was still small enough to need a lot of mommy time.  It made sense.  I needed to manage Jake's special ed and potty train Aidan.  Then my grandpa died, followed by my grandma and my dad, all within about eighteen months.
So, we had the brilliant idea to have another baby.  Except my husband's insurance cost a fortune, and that cute city apartment wasn't big enough for 6 and the city's public schools were not meeting our expectations.  So we moved to the suburbs.
And I went back to work, for much less than I was making before, but with uber cheap insurance.  And Mike went back to school.  Then I lost my job, and he lost his. 
Things are better now.  I work full time, at close to my old pay level and Mike works almost full time in addition to going to school, but we're still not nearly as comfortable as we used to be.
There are some things I have learned I live just fine without, like a car payment, premium gas, multiple trips to Starbucks.  There are some things I really miss though. 
I miss department store cosmetics and shampoo.  I miss spontaneous haircuts, and the occasional mani-pedis.  Sure I am surviving on less Starbucks, but I still miss it.  Surprisingly 7-11 Brazilian Bold coffee though is very tasty and cheap.  While I don't really miss fast food, I miss it being an option when I am exhausted from working all day and just want to throw food at the kids so I can go to bed.  I miss just buying a book that interests me, rather than hunting it down on Amazon.com or BN.com for a used copy. 
This too shall pass, I know and one day I either just won't miss that stuff any more or I'll be using it again.  Just once in a while a girl needs to whine a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Remember, if you get from point A to point B without any bumps or detours, your life is just a straight line, and therefore, lacks the good components of a story. Showing our children how it works in the best and worst of times helps them grow into people who can navigate the best and worst of times.

    And, because I seem to be the only woman I know for whom this is true, I have never had a mani or pedi.

    ReplyDelete