Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Shampoo

I don't make life easy for my husband of 13 years. In most ways, I am not your traditional wife and he is not your standard husband. I have never been relagated to the kitchen or been able to declare myself a "football widow". I am more of a "PBS widow", especially the cooking shows. I'm the kid of girl who assembles her own Ikea furniture with little assistance and lots of swearing.
Mostly though, I am not the kind of woman who generally goes for the whole flowers/candles/bathtub romance crap. Which should be obvious as I used the term "crap" to describe it. I find romance in Diet Dr Pepper and peanut M&Ms on a bad day, or waking up to a clean kitchen without asking for it (because unlike my husband's PBS chef heroes, he does not have a staff of PAs willing to wash his multiple dishes). I swoon when I see my husband carry our youngest son into the babysitter. Come, on, what is sexier than a good daddy?
But once in a great while, I do confess that some of the standard "girlie" things would be nice. I would love it if he would let me pick the bedding in our room. A resturant nicer than the local Appleby's (though their 2 for $20 special is a delight) would honestly rock my world. But mostly, it would be nice once in a while for the man to just tell me that he loves the smell of my shampoo...

1 comment: